Sunday, March 12, 2006

Surgery Update!!

Last Tuesday I had to be at Shelby Medical Surgery Center at 10:30am for them to take blood, do a ekg, and get me prepped for surgery on my hernia. It was probably 11:00 before they called me back and about 12:15 they took be to the holding room where they give you this cute little designer hat, put in your IV and get you started on some of the meds. I was there till about 2:45. While in there I got to talking to one of my doctor's (Dr. Stahl's) attending nurses and she said that sometime when they are playing music in the OR, he will start singing. I thought that was so funny because to me he doesn't seem to have that kind of personality. She told me to tell him to sing for me, "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. So when I got into surgery she met him at the door and told him I had a request and he came in singing to me. LOL. Never had a singing surgeon before. Then another one of the male assistants started singing (he was better than Stahl's) and the anestheologist said that he could sing too. I told him to just go ahead and put me to sleep and that they needed to buy Dr. Stahl's a bucket with a lid on it to carry his tune in. He quickly informed me that he was a lot better surgeon than singer and I said that I was glad to hear that.
The next thing I know I'm in recovery being woke up out of a awesome sleep. They finally got me to my room around 5:30, I think.
I have always had good treatment and service at Shelby but this time was the best by far. I spent the night on second floor in a private room, I was released around 2:00pm on Wednesday and I don't think that I was ever in that room a whole hour without a nurse coming in to check on me. Anytime I buzzed the desk, my nurse was right there. All very nice and friendly. Couldn't have asked for better care.
Now, this surgery was a lot more painful than my gastric by-pass. OUCH!! I have to walk around literally carrying my belly around in my hands. GET THE VISUAL!!!!!!!! LOLOL!! Man, it hurts to cough, sneeze (double OUCH), sit, stand, walk, etc, etc, etc........................
The hernia is right above my belly button at my waist and was the size of a golf ball. They went in laproscopically and patched it with a piece of mesh that is stitched to the lining of my belly and the stitches come all the way thru skin to the outside of my belly. Everytime I move it pulls. It's getting a little better than it was. I go Tuesday for him to check it out. I think I'll LIVE!!! I'm now down 88 lbs. They told me that he wants me to lose 130 the first year, so I have 42 lbs. to go in 6 months. AWESOME!! I believe that I will have it all off by this time next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. Did you ever get the pillow? Hope so cause it really helps! The weather is turning so I say we need to get your little self out on a FAT KAT outing soon! Love ya! dd

Sarah said...

Hey, thanks for the nice comments on my blog. Now that I am finally getting into the "blog world", I will definately be checking out yours now too!