Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A Good Day

Since Mom & I had "gone to the Big City" for the day, I convinced her to go the cemetery where my Granny is buried. I think Mom may have been once in the last 16 years, so this was a big deal. She was starving & when that happens, the world stops! Thankfully...Mickey D's was across the street from the cemetery. We got our food & I wanted to eat outside. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, being indoors was not appealing at all. But because of miss communication, we got in the car & started to leave. So we ended up driving around the cemetery eating our McDonald's. It was actually fun! We found were Mom's Mam-maw was buried, so I got on my knees & was cleaning off the marker...I guess I stood up to quickly, because I felt myself passing out...I went down! I didn't go out, but I couldn't catch myself. I sat on the grass for a few minutes to get my barrings & after I got up I felt something biting my foot. It was an ant. Than another bite. And another...Then I felt then crawling up my leg! I literally had ants in my pants. I still have bites. Uuggghhh!


Anyway, you have to realize the importance of this certain cemetery to my family. There are quite a few families members there & it was a place Mom used to spend holidays in as a kid. Now that is funny! My Granny would dress her up for Easter & they wouldn't go to church, but to the cemetery to take pictures. Hahahaha!

As for me, I can remember going there with Granny, mostly before Christmas to decorate. And it would be an entire day event. We would visit all the different "sights" throughout this rather large place, including the statue that says, "Nothing." And you can't forget the doo-doo ball tree. I have no clue exactly what kind of tree it was, but that's what we all called it, since the brown fruit that grew on it, smelled exactly like doo-doo!

Maybe going to the cemetery back then, made me not afraid of them. They became a place of adventure, nothing spooky or sad. I find beauty in them. And they truly are peaceful places. I'm not some morbid freak. When I got older & got my own car, a local cemetery became a refuge for me when I needed to think things through or just time to myself. Plus I love reading the names & dates on the graves & imagining the life that person may have lived.

No comments: