Monday, July 18, 2005

Mama use to always say:'Never eat watermelon before the 4th of July because it will make you sick'! I have come to the conclusion that there is something to these old sayings. I know that I have bought watermelons earlier in the summer and they wouldn't taste right, weren't sweet enough, be too green or be meally. I you wait till after the 4th of July you're able to get the ones that were able to grow in the warmer part of the summer and they get real sweet and juicy. I bought one of those little round ones at the curb market, Saturday, and it was so delicious. YUMMO!! That is one of the best things about summer to me is the delicious produce that you can get like Chilton County peaches and strawberries, vine-ripe tomatoes (I get the salt shaker and eat them like an apple, sooooooo good),squash, cucumbers, okra, etc.......... Other than that, I don't like summer. TOO HUMID!! Even at night. What do you like best about summer?

5 comments:

~Crystal~ said...

Swimming, swimming & more swimming!!! I also love the fresh produce too, ain't nothing like it.

Anonymous said...

I love the long hours of daylight. I love to be outside in my yard and the long days gives me time to be outside when I get home from work. I love the green, green grass and all the beautiful colors in the flowers. It speaks to me of life. I cannot stand the time change in the Fall and it's dark when I get home...depressing!
rg

Staci said...

Tomatoes have to be the best thing about summer next to my Birthday! Nothing beats a Tomato Sandwich with Salt, Pepper, Mayo *(dukes brand) and even a slice of onion if you have one! Whhoooo weee that's some good eatin. I could eat several of them in a day! Tomatoes with Rice for breakfast- Tomatoes with bread for lunch and tomatoes with squash for supper. Can't go wrong. And to think my husband didn't even like tomatoes when we married, glad he open his eyes and can now see the light! (Okay sorry for the novel, i'm talkative tonight!)

Jamie said...

I like the smell of fresh cut grass... and swimming! I like strawberries and cantelope. I like that my neighbors all sit outside and we get to know each other.

Nicole said...

Um... i don't like watermellon. I like the long hours of daylight. I like flowers. I like swimming. I like wearing flip flops. I like having a tan b/c i don't wear much makeup when i have sun on my face. i like grilling out. i like crawfish and shrimp. and my b'day is also in the summer :)