Friday, June 03, 2005

So Many Memories

Tonight on the news (33/40) they had Breaking News about a fire in West End. I was raised in West End and went to West End High. They were showing a store named Spivey's that was engulfed in flames and was expected to be a total lose. It broke my heart seeing that because I have so many memories of that particular building. You see at one time, right beside Spivey's was the West End Theater. I remember spending alot of Summer nights there with my elementary and junior high friends. During the school season on Friday and Saturday nights as well. Mama would drop me and sometimes my brother, Bruce Wayne, as well of at the theater and come back in several hours to pick us up.
Back then you didn't worry about somebody picking your kids up to moleste them and all. One night they had Cousin Cliff , a local magician/tv celebrity, there and he was doing one of his magic shows. He asked for volunteers from the audience to come up and help and my brother Bruce Wayne was chosen to be his assistant. He was sitting down front with his friends and I was in the back with mine and I had no idea he was chosen until he walked up on the stage. Wow, that was so cool. Bruce Wayne was so excited and I was excited for him. We were probably about 10 and 12 maybe.
I think the theater closed while I was in high school and Spivey's bought it out and increased there store space. I hate to see things like that go. It seems like another chapter has been closed on my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't this the store where Renee and I traded in our old Barbies for the new ones with bendable legs? dd

prftpeace said...

Spivey's was my oldest brother's favorite place to go. It was a hobby store, too, and he loved the trains! I remember the theatre, too. It is sad........

Vickie said...

Diane,
You and Renee took your old Barbies and $5.00 to West End Drugs to trade. It is on the same Street as Spiveys but back towards West End High school.